what are moths?
There are 160,000 species of moths in the world. Moths vary greatly in size, ranging in wingspan from about 4 mm (0.16 inch) to nearly 30 cm (about 1 foot). The moth life cycle has four stages: egg, larva,chrysalis, and adult (imago). They are not only live in gardens, farmland and woodlands, but also marshlands, sand dunes and even mountain tops! The wings, bodies, and legs of moths are covered with dustlike scales that come off if the insect is handled .
Differences between Moths and butterflies
Moths and butterflies are insects and belong to the order Lepidoptera, but there are numerous physical and behavioral differences between the two insect types. Moths are nocturnal and butterflies are diurnal (active during the day). While at rest, butterflies usually fold their wings back, while moths flatten their wings against their bodies or spread them out in a “jet plane” position.
8 Ways to Get Rid of Moths
- Pheromone Traps Pheromone is a hormone emitted by female moths to attract a mate. Since male moths are drawn to this hormone, moth traps are usually coated in pheromone and a sticky substance. The moths are drawn to the trap and get stuck because of the sticky substance.
2. Clean all areas If you have just sighted some moths or holes in fabrics, be sure to check every cupboard and possible place for moth larvae. Once found, empty the cupboards and start vacuuming the inside. This includes carpets as well.
3. Combine dried, crushed, and powdered herbs. Combine the following in a bag that you can hang anywhere you keep clothes or food: lavender, bay leaves, cloves, rosemary, and thyme. Moths also hate the odors of these herbs. You can also dilute the essential oils of these herbs and spray them on your clothes and belongings or use a diffuser with one or more combinations of these oils.
4. Swap your clothes hangers for cedar ones: Moths don’t like the smell and will be repelled from eating and touching your clothes.
5. Wash everything: wash your old luggage , bags you haven’t used in a long time or containers and trinket boxes that larvae may be hiding in.
6. Mothballs are small, pungent balls of chemical pesticide and deodorant. It is used when storing clothing and fabrics, it helps to protect damage from moth larvae. Keep a couple of them in an airtight container together with your clothes and fabrics. The fumes released by mothballs effectively kill moths.
7. Calling a pest control service. Sometimes, removal and prevention techniques just aren’t enough. If you have a moth infestation that’s out of control, contact a local pest control company and they can offer you the best solutions.
8. Keep your hourse clean: Moths will not make a nest and live in your house if you allow the sun and air into your house.