where do squirrels live?
Squirrels are not unfamiliar to almost everybody. It have more than 235 squirrel species live all over the world . Squirrels live on every continent except in Australia and Antarctica. Tree squirrels typically live in wooded areas, since they prefer to live in trees, but depending on the species . Ground squirrels live up to their names. They dig burrows, a system of tunnels underground, to live in.
20 Fun Facts About Squirrels
- In the past, the word ‘squirrel’ means ‘shadow tail’.
- The most iconic behavior of squirrels is storing nuts and acorns for winter. Which is necessary for the species of squirrel that don’t hibernate.
- The hind legs of squirrels are double-jointed, which gives them the ability to run up and down trees very quickly.
- From up to a mile away, a male squirrel can actually smell a female in heat.
- Squirrels Are Pregnant for 3-6 Weeks. Generally, two to four young are born per litter.
- Squirrels have 4 toes on their front feet, which are extremely sharp and used for gripping tree bark whilst climbing. They also have 5 toes on their back feet.
- Their front teeth never stop growing.
- With 285 species of squirrels, they can be found in every continent except Antarctica and Australia.
- Squirrels can eat their own body weight every week, which is roughly 1.5 pounds.
- Squirrels can fall from 30 meters high, without hurting themselves.
- They use thier tail for balance and parachute when jumping or falling.
- An arctic ground squirrel (a species of ground squirrel native to the Arctic.) is the only warm-blooded mammal able to withstand body temperatures below freezing whilst hibernating.
- Squirrels eyes are positioned in a way which allows them to see behind them.
- Squirrels Have Been Around for at Least 35 Million Years.
- They can leap 10 times their body length and turn their ankles 180 degrees to face any direction when climbing.
- Squirrels are clever creatures and can learn to navigate numerous obstacles to find the most efficient route to food, they’re also rather good at finding shortcuts.
- Because they have long, muscular hind legs and short front legs that work together to aid in leaping so squirrels can jump a distance of up to 20 feet.
- Squirrels can find food buried beneath a foot of snow.
- If squirrels babies are abandoned , squirrels will adopt them.
- Squirels can run 20 miles per hour. It have been proven by scientist. However, most squirrels run half this.